Sunday, May 13, 2007

Food is the Universal Language



Brenda, who is from the Netherlands and me with G and her son

Today the grad school had International Day. All of the international students hosted this wonderful event and made dishes from their home countries to share. Each country had their own booth with food and information about their country. As you can see from the pictures, many dressed in traditional attire that reflected their culture (I still don't get the Asian guy from Switzerland:) . To be honest I didn't expect it to be as nice as it was, but you could see that these men and women were so proud of where they come from and took the opportunity to show to us yanks! I tried a bit of the food but no one had more fun than G did when he saw all of the rice based Asian foods. His favorite was the rice with chicken that the men from Singapore made that had a sweet/soy sauce drizzled over it.

H sponsored this gentleman from Brunei, a very small country in Southeast Asia, who is waiting for his family to join him in the states. Would you believe that he made all of the food and sponsored the booth on his own? He is the first person (endorsed by the Sultan no less!) from his country to come to an armed forces college to study. I was very brave and tried the chicken curry. Trust me when I tell you I have never been interested in any kind of curry but this was really, really good. Almost mild to taste at first but leaves a bite!

G loved the fact that there were huge birds and a pretty Taiwanese girl that he thought looked just like Queen Amadala. For those of you who don't know who Queen Amadala is, please refer to your Episode One through Three Star Wars journals for reference. My son, who is totally obsessed with Star Wars right now relates everyone to it. And I mean everyone!! G proclaimed on Friday that the gentleman who delivers our FedEx packages looks like Lando Calrissian. Now I personally didn't see a resemblance to Billy Dee Williams....

We are so looking forward to church tomorrow!! The African Children's Choir is singing!!! Did you see them sing with my boyfriend Josh Groban on the American Idol Charity thing? They were so amazing! We are going to get to church really early to sit up front and we are letting G stay to watch since he is a music lover like mommy. Hopefully I'll have pics to post tomorrow.

Happy Birthday to baby Will who is turning 2 today!!! We love you!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails