Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Yeah. That's My Kid.

There are moments when parenting is pure ecstasy.  Yep.  You read me right.  Ecstasy.  Pure unadulterated joy that leaves my heart singing with parental pride.

This is the conversation that G initiated while doing his homework:

G:  Mommy,  K & K were talking at school today and they both said that they aren't special.

(Now, at this point in the conversation I'm thinking this is a stall tactic to put off homework so I'm only half listening, but if you keep reading you'll see immediately why I tuned in fast!)

G:  (exasperated and huffy) I TOLD them that they are very special-more special than they could every know! 

Me:  And what did they say to that?

G:  (very emphatically and with gusto)  They said they weren't special because they have sloppy handwriting and don't read well.  And I said to them-are you kidding me? You two are WAY smarter than me!  You're two of the smartest kids in the class and you should be proud of yourself!

Me:  They are both very blessed to have such an encouraging friend.  You really have a gift and I'm so happy to hear that you use it to encourage and be an example to those around you.

G:  I mean, Mom, I told them that they are meant for something really special, even if they don't know what it is right now.  But they are!  I just know it!  Just because they can't do something as well doesn't mean they aren't special.  There are a lot of things that people are better at than me and it doesn't bother me.  I know God made me special.

(Now I'm starting to get all misty and I can feel my nose turning red like when I ugly cry)

Me:  Maybe they haven't been told in a really long time that God made them each special in their own way.  I think maybe tonight when you say your prayers you could include them both- that is a big way that you could help them!

G:  I feel sad that they don't think that they are good people and don't like themselves.  I feel down sometimes and feel like I'm the weirdest person in our family (random) but I remember that God made me just fine how I am and He makes me smile again.  It's really helped me a lot in my life to remember that.


I think my seven year old little boy made the angels in Heaven sing today. 

3 comments:

Jess said...

How precious!!! You have one very special little boy there. =)

Wendy said...

That's one insightful kid, you have there. You have a reason to be proud, mama!

chaniemom said...

How touching!

Related Posts with Thumbnails