Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Neurotransmitter Testing and the Adopted Child



I am a believer in homeopathic and integrative medicine.  After years of working with pediatricians to stabilize my son's chronic asthma, it was a mixture of vitamins, supplements and prescribed medications that finally calmed the storm in my son's small lungs.  Inhalers and steroids, while life saving, did nothing to promote a strengthened immune system and an improve physiological response to allergies and upper-respitory infections. 

Most experts agree, and I believe in the research and data as well, that children who are adopted suffer some degree of trauma. Regardless of circumstances prior to adoption, the type of care and attention received and the attachment made during their 'foster' period, most, if not all adopted children, have a traumatic response to broken attachments regardless if said attachments are deemed healthy or unhealthy.

Studies have shown that all persons who suffer trauma, whether it is a prolonged childhood illness, an accident, abuse or neglect, can be altered chemically. Brain development can become stunted, neurotransmitters altered and basic neurological functions impacted to such extremes that a child's natural born tendencies for certain character traits may be overridden with fear and anxiety.

I have heard about neurotransmitter testing within the adoption community here and there.  Some debunk the testing as "junk" or "pseudo" science but a part of me wonders if there's something to it.  I knew of a woman who had one of her two daughters adopted from China tested through a company online.  This little girl, who was adopted and brought home around age one (if my memory serves me right) suffered from tantrums, fits of rage and what some would label as difficult behavior.  This mom had her daughter tested and after receiving the results, began supplements to boost deficient neurotransmitters and was astounded at the results.  Her daughter became more easy going, her mood was not as explosive and her general demeanor was more peaceful. 

There is so much that science can not explain. The inner workings of our brain are still largely a mystery and I believe that there is so much to learn about the effects of broken attachments in our children.  I don't know if neurotransmitter testing is right for everyone but the idea of it is intriguing and possibly even worth the expense for my Prim.

Have you considered neurotransmitter testing? Have you even heard of this and do you think it could be beneficial for your adopted child?  I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Robin and Kyle said...

I know so little about this but have always been intrigued by the idea. I'm not sure what kinds of signs point to kids that could benefit from neuro reoorg but I'd love to hear more if you investigate further!

Missy said...

I have never heard of this, but I believe that we are natural beings and that it makes much more sense that all of our ailments can be healed naturally. Just for some things, we haven't discovered the methods yet.

Worth a shot. The beauty of supplements and vitamins is that the majority of the time, it sure can't hurt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails