Thursday, April 15, 2010

Knee Jerk Reaction

I am grieved to read that Russia is suspending adoptions to the United States in the wake of the firestorm created by  Torry Hansen.

I have spent days thinking about this situation and to no end can I see the logic, reason or justification for this mother placing her child on a plane back to his country of birth.  This is a mother-who had resources available to her through her adoption agency or social services-methodically purchased a one way ticket to Russia, packed her son's belongings, wrote a note relinquishing herself of the responsibility for his welfare and sent him on his way-alone.

Already speculation abounds in the media as to the procedural validity of international adoptions, this article going as far to describe it as a "cottage industry" and Americans the "leading importer of children" as if the desire to grow families is the equivalent of acquiring a new car or piece of furniture.

While everyone is busy casting blame and pointing fingers, there is only one person who can be held responsible for this tragic situation and that is the mother, Torry Hansen. Regardless of the circumstances, the emotional stability of the child, the alleged misinformation about her son from the orphanage or the desperate feelings that pushed her to act in this manner, she alone made the decision to abandon her son. 

Although I have so much to say about this story time will not allow it today so I will end with this. For all of the outrage that the Russian people and their government have expressed over the abandonment of this little boy, where is the outrage associated with the living conditions of institutionalized, homeless and orphaned children in their own backyard? Why do we not hear the screaming protests, the demands for justice for the almost 700,000 children currently living in substandard, cramped, government run facilities?

Thank you to the families all over the world willing to open their home and their hearts to a child in need.  Do not be discouraged by this, but know that God in His wisdom will use this for His glory and honor.

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. Gen 50:20

3 comments:

Wendy said...

You beat me to it! I was JUST writing a post about this!!!

April said...

I can't wait to hear what you have to say Wendy!
Thanks for the comment Shannon! Short and sweet :)

a Tonggu Momma said...

This continues to upset me... I keep thinking of his confused face.

Popped over to thank you so much for your comment on my precocious puberty in international adoption post over at Grown In My Heart. I am SO with you on the organic foods and such. I happen to have food allergies to many preservatives, so we already eat a fairly organic, slow foods diet, but I know that it benefited our daughter greatly as well. Filling our children up with hormones can really result in some significant health issues, including precocious puberty.

Thanks for the comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails